Ministry of Justice Frequently Ask Questions Minister's Marriage Licence (Minister's Licence)

Q1: Can I apply for the Minister’s Licence online?

Ans. No, all documents and forms required to obtain the Minister’s Licence must be submitted to the Customer Service Section, Ministry of Justice, 61 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10

Q2: Where should I visit to obtain the Minister’s Licence?

Ans. Visit the Customer Service Section, Ministry of Justice, 61 Constant Spring Road. Kingston 10.

Q3: If I reside overseas / abroad and get married in Jamaica, is the Marriage Certificate accepted in my homeland?

Ans: Jamaica’s Marriage Certificate is widely accepted in other territories; however jurisdictions are governed by different legislation. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the foreigner(s) getting married on the island, to ensure that the Jamaican Marriage Certificate is recognized in their homeland prior to engaging in the ceremony.

Q4. Am I legally married with the Minister’s Licence?

Ans: No, the Minister’s Licence only permits the Marriage Officer to perform the marriage ceremony in accordance with the law. After the marriage ceremony you must apply for the Marriage Certificate (legal proof of marriage) from the Registrar General’s Department (RGD) – For further information visit their website

Q5. Who can legally perform a marriage ceremony with the Minister’s Licence?

Ans: An appointed Marriage Officer or any person appointed by the Minister to do so.

Q6. Who is eligible to obtain a Minister’s Licence?


• A man and woman intending to get marry to each other;

• not already legally married to someone else

• not be blood relatives

• be 18 years of age or older

• If age of 16 or 17 years – parental /guardian consent required

Q7. Is there a fee for the Minister’s Licence

Ans. No, there is no fee for the Minister’s Licence. However, there is a stamp duty fee of J$4000 which is payable at the Stamp Duty Office located at 111 Harbour Street, Kingston, prior to the issuing of the Minister’s Licence.

Q8: Where can I use the Minister’s Licence?

Ans. The Minister’s Licence is only valid in Jamaica.

Q9: How long does it take to obtain a Minister’s Licence?

Ans: A Minister’s Licence may be issued the same day if the request is made by 12 noon and all requirements have been met; otherwise, the next business day. However, if either party was granted divorce by the Jamaican Court, processing may take up to 7 business days pending verification from the Supreme Court.

Q10: What documents do I need to obtain a Minister’s Licence?


• A completed Form of Declaration;

• Blank Minister’s Licence form (Page 2) duly stamped /embossed by the Stamp Duty Office.

• Valid Picture Identification (Passport, Driver’s Licence or Jamaican National Identification for local residents only)

• Birth Certificate;

• Divorce Absolute, Death Certificate (widow or widower), Deed Poll and Letter of Consent (where applicable)

• Where applicable, all certified documents must accompany the completed Form of Declaration and Stamped Blank Minister’s Licence form (Page 2) for processing.

Q11: Who is authorized to complete the Form of Declaration?

Ans: The Form of Declaration must be completed by a person (Declarant) who has knowledge of the impending marriage and that there are no known obstacles to the marriage. The Declarant should sign to the right of the bracket where the Justice of the Peace (JP) is designated to sign. Also, the Form must be signed by the Declarant in the presence of a JP in Jamaica.

Q12: Are copy documents accepted?

Ans: In the absence of original documents, certified copies by a Justice of the Peace or Notary Public may be submitted; except for the Form of Declaration and the Blank Minister’s Licence Form which must be original.

Q13: Can the Minister’s Licence expire?

Ans. Yes, the Minister’s Licence expires 90 days after the date it was issued.

Q14: Do I have to be present to submit the application Form?


• No, application may be submitted by:

• Both parties or either party intending to get married;

• Relative or friend of person(s) intending to get married;

• Marriage Officer, Wedding Planner, Hotelier or some other third party.

Q15: How do I correct errors on my Minister’s Licence?

Ans: Report the error(s) in writing or visit in person the Ministry of Justice, 61 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10 for an amendment.

Q16: If the information provided on my Form of Declaration is incorrect, can I make the changes myself?

No, you may not. The correction(s) must be done by the Declarant in the presence of the Justice of the Peace (JP) who originally signed and sealed the Form of Declaration. Both parties (the Declarant and JP) must sign to the specific change(s).

Q17: Can someone collect the Minister’s Licence on my behalf?

Ans: Yes, a third party may collect the Minister’s Licence upon presentation of valid picture identification (Passport, Driver’s Licence or Jamaican National Identification) along with written authorization from you.