Becoming a Notary Public in Jamaica
WHO IS A NOTARY PUBLIC?
A Notary Public is a person who is commissioned and appointed ‘fit and proper’ by His Excellency, the Governor General for the island of Jamaica, to carry out such duties assigned to that office under the laws of Jamaica or by the practice of commerce, and is deemed an officer of the Supreme Court.
- The Notaries Public Act, 1865 [attach]
- REVIEW OF NOTARIES PUBLIC ACT Of 1865
The Ministry of Justice is currently reviewing the draft Bill to have the Notaries Public Act of 1865 repeal and replaced further to Cabinet’s approval.
ROLE AND ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESS TO BECOME A NOTARY PUBLIC
Pursuant to the Notaries Public Act, the following administrative process is carried out to facilitate the commission, upon application to the Governor General, of a Notary Public: -
The Office of the Governor General
- Step 1 - A person must apply to His Excellency, the Governor General
- Application is to include a covering letter and two (2) references/recommendations as a ‘fit and proper’ person. [reference/recommendation from either a Notary Public or Attorney-at-Law of not less than 10 years standing]
The Ministry of Justice (with portfolio subject assignment for Notaries Public).
- Step 2 - Upon notice from the Office of the Governor General of an application, the Ministry of Justice processes the application in consultation* with the Office of the Chief Justice and obtains the Minister of Justice’s approval to recommend the appointment to His Excellency, the Governor General
- Step 3 - A Writ of Dedimus and Commission (‘Official Instrument’) is prepared in duplicate and submitted to His Excellency, the Governor General, where if satisfied, appoints under His hand and seal as a Notary Public.
- Step 4 - Once executed by His Excellency, the Governor General, the applicant is notified and provided with the duplicate Official Instrument to have stamp duty applied and countersign by the Registrar of the Supreme Court
- Step 5 - When this process is completed, the applicant is formally notified and presented with his or her Official Instrument of office.
* Consultative Process Incorporates the Office of the Chief Justice and the Society of Notaries Public in Jamaica
TOTAL NUMBER OF NOTARIES PUBLIC
The total number of Notaries Public across the island at present is One Hundred and four (104).
TARIFF OF FEES PAYABLE FOR NOTARIAL ACTS/DUTIES
The fees payable for acts/duties carried out by a Notary Public is as prescribed and approved by Minister[attach].
LIST /ROLL OF NOTARIES PUBLIC
The List/Roll of Notaries Public is set out below as at January 2023 attach: - Document